Housing on Holzhalbinsel
Rostock , Germany
- TCHOBAN VOSS Architekten
- Loggerweg, Holzhalbinsel, 18055 Rostock , Germany
- WIRO Wohnen in Rostock Wohnungsgesellschaft mbH, Rostock
- Assoziierter Partner: Frank Focke, Oberbauleitung: Johannes Galandi, Architekt: Ekkehard Voss TCHOBAN VOSS Architekten, Projektleiter: Bernd Borgolte; Anja Dähne, Mitarbeiter: Serhat Akdoganlar; Anja Dähne; Falko Holtz; Klaus Mehlhorn; Annika Suck
- Structural engineering
- Ingenieurbüro Dr. Binnewies Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH, Hamburg
- Building equipment
- BOW Ingenieure GmbH, Hamburg
- Wiggenhorn & van den Hövel Landschaftsarchitekten BDLA, Hamburg
- Geotechnical investigations
- BBI Geo- und Umwelttechnik Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH, Hamburg
- H.S.W. Ingenieurbüro Gesellschaft für Energie und Umwelt mbH, Rostock
- Klinkerwerk Muhr, Emmrich/Lichterfeld
The new residential ensemble situated on the former harbor and trading place in the near proximity to the historical center of Rostock contributes to the skyline of the city. Following the leitmotif of a fresh breeze, which is so characteristic for port cities, the buildings absorb the energy of wind and water and demonstrate it by their distinctive shape. In 2013 the project obtained the first prize in an international competition.
The polygonal façade and the slightly canted roofs indicate the main wind direction. An elongated U-shaped volume with five to six floors builds the backbone of the ensemble: it opens in the direction of the Warnow and at the same time towards the four other buildings, which have different heights of five to nine floors. The tower with nine floors is a beacon not only for the building group but for the nearby surrounding, it stands directly on the water front. The façades clad in traditional colors with bright grey and beige clinker give the residential complex a homogenous and vivid appearance.
Surrounded by the green areas the new urban structure with its loosely positioned volumes and the framing block offers a good mix of harmony and variety. A generous promenade allows direct access to the water, different recreation areas with seats and playing surfaces contributes to a high quality of living. The apartments with well-proportioned living spaces and generous loggias ensure ideal exposure and provide great panoramic views to the water. Each building is constructed as a KfW55 energy-efficient house. A geothermal plant provides the whole complex with thermal energy.